Thursday, May 7, 2009

Please pray for my cousin

Hi guys, my mum just informed me that one of my cousins (her brother's son) got an overdose on panadol and was admitted to hospital. They suspect that he is having depression because he's still waiting for university results and some of his friends already have been accepted. He took 35 tablets of panadol. His parents might refer him to a psychiatrist. His family is Buddhist.

I was very disturbed and upset upon hearing this, not only because he's my cousin. Actually we aren't close at all, because of some family problems earlier, so the extended family isn't as close. But even if we're not close, it is still upsetting to hear that my cousin is in depression. But more disturbing is because I don't see why he should be in depression. Is it that society places too much pressure on all of us, that there is no room for failure at all? Is it his parents that have been pressurizing him too much? Or is it simply just a lost boy without God, without any meaning in life or achievement to place his identity with, and without his possible university education, life has no meaning for him?

It's so depressing. It's probably a combination of reasons. Low self esteem, lack of family support or encouragement, too much pressure, and others. But all rooted in the fact that God is not in his life. And it's so sad. That when I compare my life in God, I feel so immensely blessed. It's not that I have found God, but that God has chosen me. My blessings are many and countless. But yet, there are people out there who are lost and without hope in their life. And they need God.

It may be easy to say, what is a university education in Singapore? At most don't study university lor. Just start work or do a diploma. But then it's different for everyone, people with different circumstances and pressures and expectations.

Anyway, just want to share this, hope that when you read this you could also pray for my cousin and his family, that they will get to know God and be saved, and hope that God will use my family and also bring other people to reach out to them.

-Sarah

No comments: